● This Roger Maris 1958 Topps is the only recognized rookie card of the former single-season home run champion, Roger Maris.
● Graded a 9 by PSA, sports collectibles leading grading agency.
● There are 34 PSA 9 graded examples, with no issues receiving a higher grade.
● According to PSA, “this card is one of the keys to the 1958 Topps set and difficult to find well-centered.”
● Maris won consecutive MVP awards in 1960 and 1961, beating out teammate Mickey Mantle and making him one of only 13 players in history to win consecutive MVPs.
● Maris made his major league debut on April 16, 1957, with the Cleveland Indians. Two days later, he hit the first home run of his career, a grand slam off Tigers pitcher Jack Crimian at Briggs Stadium in Detroit.
● The last three sales of a Roger Maris 1958 Topps PSA 9 were: $27,600, $21,600 and $18,000. There hasn’t been a sale since May 2021. Since then, many iconic vintage baseball assets have produced positive comps and noteworthy results.
●The card features Maris kneeling in his Cleveland jersey with a stoic expression, typical of many of his cards. This card can be difficult to find in good condition, as many 1958 cards are plagued by printing issues.