● This offering represents the original photograph, the foundational artwork, used to create Mikan’s iconic 1948 Bowman Rookie card.
● The photo is also signed by George Mikan.
● The 1948 Bowman Rookie image is “the most recognizable image on the planet of this early hardcourt Hall of Famer”.
●According to Heritage Auctions, “original photography has been trending up for the last few years, especially images used to create iconic cards.” In February 2021, photographs used to create Jackie Robinson’s 1948 Leaf and 1949 Bowman cards sold for $360,000 and $204,000.
● The Sporting News also featured this shot for many years in its NBA Register.
● George Mikan wears his original number 21 in the image, as opposed to his iconic #99, suggesting the shot was taken soon after his arrival on the Lakers in 1947.
● Another Type 1 Photograph of Mikan’s '48 Bowman rookie card sold $40,800 via Heritage Auctions in February 2021. The copy that sold via Heritage was not signed by Mikan.
●To learn more about investing in original sports photography, read CollectableU: Investing in Original, Rare Sports Photography: https://collectable.com/collectableu-investing-in-original-rare-sports-photography/
● The consignor is retaining $25,000 in equity in the offering.